Friday 6 May 2011

Hakama Trousers- practice

Day 1 -

Bought material that I wanted to use to make the practice. I went with printed cotton as the real version will be made out of red polycotton. So I tried to get the cheapest I can.

Printed Cotton
£2 per metre
B L Joshi
Ealing Road, Wembley

This is the material that I am using to practice how to make Hakama trouser. And this is the pattern that I am sourcing my trousers on.

http://www.sarcasm-hime.net/hakamapattern.html
So far I have made the front two panels. I took 2 1 metre piece and at the top marked 4 inches in and 6 inches down. Then I draw the crotch seam and the side vent seam. From the bottom of the side vent seam and the crotch seam I drew my side seam to the bottom edge of the piece creating a diagonal line. I have created the overall outline, based on the picture above.

What the shape looks like after the unnecessary pieces have been cut
 
Then came the pleatings. According to my research, the front panel has 7 pleats. 5 at the front and 2 at the back. The 5 pleats must be pleated in a certain way: 3 to the right and 2 to the left. I have done exactly that on the right front panel of the trouser. I did the opposite for the left front panel to create the sense of symmetry and balance.

Front view - 3 pleats to the right 
Side View

Back View - 2 pleats to the left



Here is what the two front panel of the trouser looks likes.




No comments:

Post a Comment