Sunday 8 May 2011

Hakama Trousers - practice

Day 3 -

FINISHED!!

Did the hemming at the waist and at the bottom of the trousers. I then created the casing which goes at the back of the trouser as well as a waistband.

Casing:
I did 8x8 inches, folding the edges in and folding it in half to create that rectangular shape. Then the longest side is attached to the trouser, NOT sewing the sides to allow the waistband to go through.

Waistband:
I measured the waist and times it by 2. My waistband consisted of 2 separate piece, so after ironing the edges inwards to create that neatness, I sewed the two pieces together, fold it in half then sewn along the three edges. I then attached some of it to the front of the waistband. One would say it's because one would not lose the ribbon. One would say it's design. And it is a sort of a design because when it is wrapped around your waist twice, you will have a string of the waistband at the bottom and another at the top which is then met in a bow in the middle of the trousers at the front.

Here are pics of the final version. As I was taking the photograph by myself, excuse the bad quality. I am currently wearing the trousers with a plain red top OVER the trousers to tone down the flowery print of the cotton material. I can also wear it with white top UNDERNEATH the trousers (as it's the correct term - samurai wear it over their long kimono) and a thin brown belt over the whole outfit.

Front View

Side view

Back view

Adjustments that I have made where the length of the waist. Normally there the side vent isn't sewn but I did it mainly due to religious reasons as well as a sense of decency not to show off my pants. Also I tightened the waist to make it a bit secure. Still loose around the waist but enough to go over my thighs as there are no openings like a fastening or a zip like a normal trouser have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment